Journal Submission Guidelines
What is Intermedium?
Intermedium, MALS interdisciplinary journal, seeks original scholarly and creative work for its
second, Fall 2018 issue to be released in association with the first MALS Intermedium Student
Conference. Intermedium seeks writing that reflects the wide range of disciplines represented
in the MALS program.
Who can submit?
Intermedium accepts work from MALS students and alumni.
How can I Submit?
Please email all submissions and questions to IntermediumEditors@gmail.com. Our deadline
for submissions is November 1.
What kind of work is accepted?
Intermedium seeks writing that reflects the wide range of disciplines represented in the MALS
program. You may submit work related to your study in MALS, including but not limited to:
● Critical essays – interdisciplinary work
● Creative writing – fiction, poetry, screenwriting, prose
● Audio/Visual – podcasts, short films, data visualization projects, photographs
If you have a question about what is appropriate to submit, please email our editorial team at
General Submission Guidelines
All submissions should be accompanied by an abstract of approximately 350 words. In
addition to a summary of the work, abstracts for Audio/Visual submissions should
highlight any technical specifications unique to the work.
To ensure an equitable review process and maintain anonymity please remove your
name and any identifiers from your submission. Submissions will be distributed to
peer reviewers by the Intermedium editors.
If you publish in Intermedium, you may publish your work elsewhere. Publication in
Intermedium should not hinder your ability to publish the piece elsewhere.
We accept previously published work as long as author can guarantee they have the
right to republish.
● Contributors may submit up to two critical essays for consideration.
● Documents should be submitted in .doc or .rtf. No PDFs, please.
● Submissions may be no longer than 5,000 words
● Work may be submitted using your preferred citation style; however, footnotes should
be converted to endnotes before submission. If accepted for publication, we may ask
you to revise your citations to meet our style guidelines.
● If you are submitting poetry please limit your submissions to five poems.
● Creative writing submissions may be no longer than 5,000 words.
● Films/Podcasts may be no longer than 30 minutes.
● Art may be submitted as a .jpeg, .png, or .tif file. Files should be at 300dpi or greater.
Contributors should also include information about the medium and actual dimensions
or size of each art piece.
● Data visualization projects should be accompanied with documentation explaining the